Wednesday, February 8, 2012 7 PM – 9 PM Burning Man HQ, San Francisco
Burner Preparedness – create your own emergency Go Bag and take it home!
The Burning Man Project and Burners Without Borders team up to bring you our second San Francisco Disaster Preparedness/Info Sharing workshop from 7 PM – 9 PM on February 8, 2012, held at Burning Man HQ at 995 Market Street, 15th Floor.
We’ll collaborate as a group to prepare supplies for each participant to start his/her own “Go Bag” — your own critical survival capsule to grab and go in the event of an emergency evacuation.
Here’s the scoop:
– RSVP now to feb8workshop-RSVP@burningmanproject.org (feb8workshop-RSVP@burningmanproject.org)
– We’ll send you a link to a Google document Master List to review for items you might already have in excess that you may wish to contribute to the workshop (everyday items you’ll find in your playa boxes, or maybe your junk drawer…)
– You will bring $20 for basic supplies, an empty backpack, and any stuff you signed up for on the list
– We will provide a basic array of contents to get your bag started and a full list of personal items to add when you get home (this is what your $20 helps offset)
– Experts will present information about earthquake/emergency preparedness in San Francisco, and share lessons about community resilience in the wake of a disaster
– Attendees will assemble our bags, mingle, and make further plans at a post-workshop social event until 9 PM (we’ll have beer, wine, sodas and snacks)
– You will leave with your Go Bag, finalize with your personal items, and stash it in your hall closet knowing you’re ready to provide for yourself and your family/community in the event of a natural disaster or other emergency!
Hosted by Tom Price, former Executive Director of Black Rock Solar and co-creator of Burners Without Borders after Hurricane Katrina
Special Guest speakers:
Daniel Homsey, San Francisco City Administrator’s Office
Director of Strategic Initiatives & Neighborhood Empowerment Network
Daniel will be discussing San Francisco disaster planning, community building and lessons learned from New Orleans, in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. http://empowersf.org/
Dave X, Burning Man
Burners love fire, but post-disaster, a fire may stand between you and safety. We hope you’ll never need it but we are sure you won’t soon forget Dave’s humorous presentation of the basics of fire suppression and safety in an emergency.
Please RSVP now to hold your space and receive full details. (Note: want to help volunteer/set up/tear down that night? Drop us a note!)
THIS WORKSHOP IS LIMITED TO 50 PEOPLE… we expect it will fill up! The presentation portions will be recorded and shared via the Burning Man Project website for those who are unable to attend.
Office directions: http://burningman.com/officedirections/
RSVP by January 31: feb8workshop-RSVP@burningmanproject.org (feb8workshop-RSVP@burningmanproject.org)